On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:
>> yes this was the idea. otherwise i dont believe we can't do much about the
>> whole thing except extremistic "solutions" like doing ppas and ask ubuntu
>
>> devs to stop producing lyx binaries.
>>
> Something that they would probably deny. In any case, even if we
> manage to get proper binaries into the Ubuntu cycle, it is still
> worthy to have a PPA available for compatibility and bleeding-edge
> code.
> Liviu

We could detect the Ubuntu build environment and break. I don't recall
what the recommended way of detecting an Ubuntu build environment, but
we could e.g. set configure to refuse to build if build-type!=rel and
PREFIX=/usr, perhaps giving a message like:

 "This is a prerelease of LyX, for testing purposes only. The document
format used by this pre-release is not stable and probably won't be
fully compatible with any stable release. Please do not package this
into a stable distribution, instead package the previous stable
version. Aborting now."

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted