I just tried the windows installer. Here is what it does (no evaluation intended since I probably don't understand enough of this).

1. LyX installs fine.

2. The user is not asked whether to update MiKTeX or cancel the setup.

3. There are a couple of messages that seem fine but are also a bit strange (see below).

Daniel

---- below ----

Package "miktex-bin-2.9" is up to date.

Sorry, but "MiKTeX Package Manager" did not succeed for the following reason:

  Package "miktex-console-bin-2.9" is already installed.

The log file hopefully contains the information to get MiKTeX going again:

  C:/Users/Daniel/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/miktex/log/mpmcli.log

You may want to visit the MiKTeX project page, if you need help.

Sorry, but "MiKTeX Package Manager" did not succeed.

The log file hopefully contains the information to get MiKTeX going again:

  C:/Users/Daniel/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/miktex/log/mpmcli.log

You may want to visit the MiKTeX project page, if you need help.
There are currently no updates available.