On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 04:58:07AM +0000, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Am 09.03.2018 um 05:34 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:
>
> >  From what I understand, I think we still need to come to an agreement on
> > whether to provide a dialog to the user asking if they would like to
> > either cancel the installation or proceed and have the installer update
> > MiKTeX.
>
> Please, I wrote now so many mails explaining the situation! I cannot do
> more.

I agree that you cannot do more explaining. Thank you very much for your
detailed explanations.

What I ask is that you do more understanding. I have put a lot of effort
into understanding your logic and your argument for why you think that
silently updating MiKTeX is a reasonable thing to do. To me the logic
and the end value of your argument is noble: If we do not update MiKTeX,
the user will not have a workable LyX experience; therefore, we should
update MiKTeX. That logic makes sense to me and is a valid argument.

Do you understand the argument that I, Richard, Jean-Marc, and racoon
have expressed (to those I cite, please correct me if I misrepresent
your opinion)? Do you think it has a noble goal and a valid argument? If
you do not understand our argument, then it is us that should do more
explaining. If you have a specific question regarding the argument,
please feel free to ask. Otherwise it is hard to know what specific part
of the argument we should expand on.

Only once both sides understand the argument of the other, without
judgement, without comparing, just *understanding*, can we actually move
to the next step of coming up with a solution.

Thanks to everyone for their involvement in this discussion. It is not
fun for anyone, and I know that everyone has the best experience of
users as their goal.

Scott