Am 11.03.2018 um 00:57 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:

I believe their goal is to get a working LyX, but they are not aware
that they might be paying a cost. They might not want to update MiKTeX,
and they should not expect that LyX is going to update MiKTeX. Thus,
although they might want a working LyX, they might not want their MiKTeX
to change, or at least not at that time.

Then they don't get a working LyX. That is not the idea of an installer. If you run such a program, you expect that it installs LyX. So I as user of an installer already made a decision: I want to have LyX installed.
Sorry that I don't get your point.

I also cannot see costs. What is in your opinion the cost of having a working package handling system? All your personal settings are not touched by the update.

regards Uwe