In the US at least, 'letter' is the standard paper size. I think England
uses A4. IIRC 'legal' pages have the same width as 'letter', but are much
longer.

What happens if you print an A4 file on a modern printer is that it
doesn't print -- instead it displays an "informative" error message like
"load A4" and patiently waits for the user to give it paper suitable for
the file being printed. This is very confusing to non-technical users and
means nobody else can print until the job is manually cancelled on the
printer (once somebody notices the problem).

Why is it necessary to override the default paper size in the first place?
Do TeX installations use 'letter' by default even in non-US locales?

Lior