I was tired and hungary when I did it, and while I remember using a
terminal command, I have not the slightest memeory of how I did it.

Exactly how would I check?

So far this morning I have tried something like
apt-cache showpkg qt4  (& qt4.5, 4.6 and so on ) and get nothing

 apt-cache showpkg qt5.6 gets a hit even though I thought I'd removed it.

I read the Release Notes and originally thought that installing qt5.6 would
be a good idea and then read what seemed to be some caveats  that seemed to
suggest that installing qt5.6 after installing LyX2.2.0 might cause
problems. So I thought I'd better get rid of it.

A quick look at /usr/share/  shows I have both qt4 and qt5 (apparently
qt5.6 since that is the folder label and the name I used in the apt-get
install command

I am not exacty Linux fluent. (I possibly speak pidgin Linux?) Can someone
provide detailed instructions or a pointer to a decent cheatsheet that
would show me how to figure out what version of qt LyX is using please?

Thanks for all the help and support.

--
John Kane
Kingston ON Canada