Angus Leeming wrote:

A. L. Meyers wrote:

Hi!  Planning to get our department to replace M$ Word with LyX to
write audit reports, was most pleased to see that there is a native
WinDoze version, downloaded it, installed it without a glitch and

DVI preview does not work.  LyX looks for some files or libraries it
cannot find.  Would much appreciate someone pointing me to docs or
giving sound advice to enable me to demonstrate LyX superiority even
in a WinDoze environment.

This is hat I did to install LyX:

Installation instructions:
--------------------------

-Install MiKTeX (there is only one .exe file) and ImageMagick first.
Do not install to a directory with a 'space'. e.g. /Program Files is a no no.
-Those should install easily enough. Now install LyX.
Again, not in a directory with spaces.
-Unpack the fonts and install like any regular windows font.
-To install the spell check dictionaries, unpack lyx_aspell_dict_en.rar
using winrar and follow the directory structure. Do this after installing
all the programs.

Configuring LyX:
----------------

-LyX should be able to convert LyX files to dvi files fine.
 However, you will probably have problems converting image formats.
-Go to Edit>Preferences>Converters
 Example: GIF -> EPS
 Select GIF in the "From:" drop down menu and EPS in the "To:" menu.
 Now click "New". This simply creates a new entry. You should see it
 in the "Converters" menu. Select the newly created entry. In the
 "Converter:" text box type "convert $$i $$o".

Don't know if that helps at all.

Marc