I sent the following reply to Brian a while ago. Forgot to carbon-copy it to
the list.
Please, the problem is still open, and I am sure that there is a simple
solution. If somebody knows, please let me know!

Hi Brian!
Thanks a lot for the quick answer, but I'm afraid we mean s.th.
different. I didn't mean the panels which pop up, but I meant the
self-defined math-macros. So for example, when I have defined in the
command line (<alt-x>)
"math-macro justastupidexample 1", and then I enter in mathmode my new
macro "\justastupidexample test", then - whenever the cursor crosses the
macro, it pops up and the whole stupid name of the macro becomes
visible. This was a new (annoying) feature of 1.4 (or even earlier?) but
now there seems to be a way to avoid it again, and I'd love to know,
how!
Do you see what I mean? Or did you have this in mind anyway?
Cheers, Sebastian

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 12:37 -0700, Brian Kidd wrote:
> hi Sebastian,
>
> i just figured this one out as well after prematurely posting the
> same question about a week ago. the solution is to go into math mode
> and then change the toolbar settings. enter math mode as if your
> going to start a new formula and then select View -> Toolbars. if the
> cursor is within the math mode, then you'll see that Math Panels and/
> or Math might be set to auto. uncheck this and the math-macros will
> no longer pop up automatically.
>
> cheers,
> -brian
>
> On Nov 2, 2007, at 11:25 AM, sebastian guttenberg wrote:
>
> > Hi lyx-team (Or others)!
> > Thanks for the great work! I was about to post a couple of bug-reports
> > and suggestions about the 1.4-version, and discovered yesterday
> > that my
> > system is out of date and that 1.5 has fixed a lot of problems and
> > added
> > very nice features! Nevertheless, I guess I will contribute frequently
> > now feedbacks and perhaps bug-reports to these formus. So hope you
> > will
> > appreciate ;-)
> > But for now, I have only one silly question: I was absolutely happy to
> > see that math-macros do not any longer pop up automatically when one
> > navigates through them  (something that annoyed me very much in the
> > past). But by chance I have changed this feature (don't know how), and
> > the macros are popping up again :-(
> > Please, can anybody tell me, how to switch this off???
> > Thanks a lot, Sebastian
> >

> > --
> > believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.