> How are you going to modify the macro argument if the macro is not
> expanded? And what do you mean by "there seems to be a way to avoid
> that"?
> Abdel.

Hi Abdel. I just want to modify the arguments and not the macro itself and
therefore it is enough that
the arguments are visible and modifiable. There is no need that - when the
cursor reaches the macro -
suddenly a huge thing pops up. I have examples in mind, where this popping up
takes the whole screen-width, but let me just give a very simple example:
If you define a macro which does just the same as \frac. And you call
\stupidlongname. Then when you enter \stupidlongname{1}{2},
 you will get a fraction of 1/2. When you later touch with the cursor the
macro, it pops up, and the stupid name becomes visible.
But I want to edit the arguments just in the same way as for frac. Just
navigating through the fields, not caring how the macro is defined or called
(the name will be displayed in the status line anyway, and I can find the
definition in the beginning). I know that there is a simple way to avoid it,
because at some point, my LyX had exactly the behavior that I wanted, but then
I changed something (and I don't know what), and now the pop-ups have
reappeared. Also, I should add that the pop-up feature is a relatively new
behavior which was not present in old LyX versions and I was very
happy to see that it is possible now to change back again. If I only knew how...
Perhaps I should also add that I am using a lot of \ifthenelse in my macros (of
course only in the Latex-Version of the macro). Stupid enough, when the
macro pops up, all this ifthenelse stuff (which can be very very long) becomes
visible.
But even for simple examples I find it extremely annoying for navigation when
all the macros pop-up, because then always the visible area on the screen
changes, which is a constant source of confusion. Sometimes even the arguments
of the macro are below the visible area then, which I would consider a bug.
Sorry for the long description. Hope you see what I mean.
Best, Sebastian

P.S.: There is a way to completely avoid expanding of the macros (not what I
have in mind, but nevertheless useful): when you are inside the macro and
close it with ctrl-i it is closed completely. Next time you pass, you simply
cannot enter the arguments. If you want to do so, you have to press ctrl-i
again.
This is not really a solution for me, because I want to navigate through the
arguments. Also the ctrl-i doesn't always work the way one expects. It
depends very much on the position of your cursor (even inside the macro),
whether it works or not.

believed to be clean.