Hello!

First about the popups: I think in 1.5.x, if they don't appear it's a bug in the rendering code in fact because the math mode does not detect the cursor correctly going into the macro.

The behaviour that macros popup was the starting point for me to think about redoing the LyX macro code. In my thesis I define terms with a lot of macros and moreover a lot of macro nesting. With the macro editing bahaviour in 1.5.x the vertical space grows exponentially with the nesting depth. So you need a very big screen if you want to nest them more than a few times.

The new approach is discussed on http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/Macros. Meanwhile the option D is implemented in the development version. Some time ago I did a screencast at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Gys4rp3u4 . You can see there how the macros are looking and bahaving now in the svn repository.

It seems that there is still interest in the old list-like editing bahaviour by some people. So probably you will have the choice between both.

As Abdel pointed out there is the branch of the 1.5 version where I developed all this. It's not very up to date. In fact I am not even sure that it compiles because I tried the merge to the 1.6 version there at the beginning. Not sure whether I reverted properly.

If you have suggestions for improvements, please tell me. Now is the time to think about how to get it right. I use the code frequently in my work and I am mostly happy with them. But there is certainly room for improvements.

Regards,
  Stefan