James Sutherland-4 wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2008, at 3:16 PM, bigblop wrote:
>

>> If I compile the child separately the references from my .bib file
>> does not
>> show (only appears as question marks).
>>
>> But based on your answer it seems that my wish is not possible - you
>> say
>> that I still have to manually skip to the main file to get the whole
>> document updated (or even a child to look correct).
>>
> Right.  You must compile the main file, not the children, if you want
> the full document with proper cross references.
>
> This is no different than LaTeX.  There you still must compile the
> "main" file and not the children.  In LaTeX the problem is even a bit
> worse because a "child" will not compile at all because all of the
> latex preamble stuff is missing.  So LyX seems to be better than LaTeX
> in this regard, although not perfect since, as you point out,
> references are broken...

I know that it works with Kile for linux. There its possible to make a
project where you define a compile command that always compiles the master
eventhough you are currently editing a child. It seems that it would just be
a matter of defining a shortkey to compile a user specified .lyx file (in
this case main.lyx)