On Monday 28 July 2008 01:10, John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Manveru <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > To the discussion about data format preference:
> >
> > I am reading all your comments about XML, YAML and other suggested data
> > formats. And this discussion reminds me something about XML what almost
> > nobody is remeber about. How many LyX user are working in large team
> > projects? How often they have to merge text files from different
> > branches? Have you ever merge XML? I tried - it is horrible work.
>
> I don't see why it would be harder if we "just replace \begin...\end
> with <>...</>".

Trouble is, replacing \begin..\end with <>...</> is a hack. LyX developers
have defined LyX native format as \begin always is the first character on a
line. There's no such requirement in XML, and if we require it, that's a
hack. If we don't require it, LyX-XML parsing becomes a whole new level of
difficulty.

Like I said, nothing that XML->YAML and YAML->XML can't solve, but those would
be required. Incidentally, I just heard there are already standalone programs
that do those conversions, so before writing code myself, I'll investigate.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US