G. Milde wrote:
On 28.07.08, Steve Litt wrote:
On Monday 28 July 2008 01:10, John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Manveru<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
To the discussion about data format preference:

... Have you ever merged XML? I tried - it is horrible work.
I don't see why it would be harder if we "just replace \begin...\end
with<>...</>".

Trouble is, replacing \begin..\end with<>...</>  is a hack.
There's no such requirement in XML, and if we require it, that's a
hack.

I'd call it a layout convention.

IMO it is perfectly legal to define the lyx file format as

... uses XML ...
... is laid out in a manner to facilitate processing by tools that
operate on a line basis (grep, merge, sed, awk, ...)

Right, but LyX should not depend on this human friendly format. IOW LyX will be able to parse non nicely formatted .lyx file but will always output nicely formatted .lyx file.

We could add an option to lyx2lyx so that badly formatted LyX files generated by some external tool would be transformed into a nicely formatted .lyx file. See? I don't forecast any parsing problem :-)

Abdel.