alright, i know what happened. I was adding page numbers to a citation, the
page numbers were "pp.485–488", where the hyphen is some strange uni-code
uber-thing that kills lyx it comes within 3 miles of lyx. once you do that,
you need to delete it and restart lyx.
Do not use fancy characters in citations!

niko