Recently, I had the same problem. BibTeX generated wrong characters or
errors, due to bad encoding. It was complaining that it can not
understand \h{o} as a control sequence! Why? I thought it is a general
way to get accented letters.

I have switched in the .bib file from LateX encoding to UTF8 and then to
my local ISO8859-2 encoding. The last switch solved the problem. LyX
file has UTF8 encoding.

I have just read the other e-mails. When I finish with the current,
writing I will also try biber.

Alex