On 2011-10-01, Spyros Stathopoulos wrote:
> Hello everyone! I've been using TeX for quite a long time now but I'm new to
> LyX. I've managed to create some fairly long documents with it and XeTeX and
> I'm quite happy, however there is one little thing that troubles me. A lot of
> regular LaTeX packages that affect fonts need to be loaded before fontspec in
> order to work properly. One such package, for example, is mathdesign. In order
> to apply a mathdesign font to the math text using XeTeX/fontspec, mathdesign
> must be loaded before fontspec, like this

> \usepackage[mdugm]{mathdesign}
> \usepackage{fontspec}

> However, LyX automatically inserts fontspec at the very top of the preamble
> (actually, after amsmath but you get the point). Therefore if I put
> \usepackage[...]{mathdesign} in the preamble settings it always comes after
> fontspec and renders the fontspec font definitions useless. Of course the same
> happends if I \usepackage{fontspec} again in the preamble (since it's already
> loaded).

> Is there any (hackish?) way to tell LyX to load mathdesign (or any other
> package) before fontspec? I'm using LyX 2.0.1 + TeXLive 2010 on ArchLinux.

Two options:

* Try with the font definitions in the user preamble, e.g.

    \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Asana Math}

  (You can find the commands with View>Source ticking the "Complete source"
  box. Set the GUI font selection to "Default" afterwards.)

* - Leave "use non-Tex fonts" unchecked.
  - Select Language>Encoding  Unicode (utf-8) (XeTeX)
  - Do the complete fontspec loading and configuration in the user preamble.
  - View/Export with XeTeX.

G√ľnter