I've been trying to create a custom module but unfortunately is seems that
fontspec is not handled by a module at all, instead it is placed into the
preamble automatically when XeTeX mode is triggered. In the end the only thing
that did the job was modifying a local copy of the .cls, which is not too bad
actually. However, given the peculiarity of fontspec with a lot of
font-affecting packages there should be a way to override or customize this
kind of behavior (along with passing options to \setXfont) without resorting to
modifying classes and/or packages. Other than that I'm quite happy with the way
LyX handles XeTeX.

Thanks for the tips!
Spyros