I'm using the first option already since I need to pass options to the font
definitions. Still the problem lies with fontspec not the font definition. I've
also thought about the second method but that way I lose the nice integration
with polyglossia since LyX will be using babel (instead of polyglossia) for
multilingual text.

Spyros