<philipp.gro...@googlemail.com>:
> >> more serious:
> >> if I try to export a pdf output from my document, I get
> >>
> >> ! Package babel Error: Unknow option `ngerman'. Either you misspelled
> >> it (babel)                or the language definition file
> >> ngerman.ldf was not found.
> >>
> >>  and no output.
> >>
> >> I use lyx 2.0.6-1+b1 and texlive 2013 under Debian
> >>
> >> If you want to install more packages instead try either
> >> "texlive-lang-german" or "texlive-lang-all".
>
> The condition should rather be:
>
> If you plan to typeset German documents or mixed-language documents
> containing German parts, install texlive-lang-german.
>
> > Please check if you have the needed language packs of TeX-Live
> > installed.
> >
> > Editing the LyX files manually seems like a very fragile option to
> > solve this.
>
> This is only an option, if the use of "ngerman" is not intended and
> there is no German text in the document.
>

> Günter

I found the cause of the error I was reporting (ngerman)

checking the latex output gave me two places were ngerman is mentioned. In
both cases I had used an index which (in lyx) was underlined blue and the
tex text showed:

chronopharmacological\index{chronopharmacology@\selectlanguage{ngerman}%
chronopharmacology\selectlanguage{american}%
} aspects by ...

selecting the index content chronopharmacology and doing in
bearbeiten>textstyle>language>reset
(which makes the blue underline to disappear)
allowed me get the normal pdf output.

I just want to point this out, since other lyx users might have similar
issues.

Thanks for all the help.

Wolfgang