>>>>> "Amir" == Amir Karger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Amir> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

Amir> Except that it's not a bug. The secret is that you're not
Amir> supposed to use space to end the inset except when you actually
Amir> want a space. You're supposed to use Esc to end the inset if you
Amir> want to write a comma. Having space be equivalent to Esc Space
Amir> isn't a bug; it's just an extremely convenient feature since
Amir> very often when you type math you *do* want a space after it.

This is a design bug. 

The function of <space> in the math editor is ``go out of the current
box''. Escape goes out of the inset editing mode. It would seem
reasonable when you press space at the end of an inset to either

- go out of the inset

- do nothing 

Currently, it has a different meaning: ``go out of the current box and
insert a space''. When Alejandro announced that he had implemented
that, I found it to be a good idea. Then, when I had to actually use
it, I did not like it at all. I often add commas or full stops after a
math inset, and this feature means that extra keystrokes are needed in
this case. Moreover, the feature is not intuitive at all.

Other problems: if I type space at the end of an equation in an
eqnarray, I would expect to either do nothing or go to the next
line. Currently, I am thrown out of the inset. This is a pain.

JMarc

PS: Concerning using Esc key: I do not have one on my keyboard! Of
course, I have boud the F2 key to do just that, but this is not
intuitive, and I suspect other people have this problem (this is on
the older DEC keyboards).

Reply via email to