Why are you using the software pwmgen on a BBB?  You should use the
PRU (there is no base-thread on the BBB by default, and the IRQ
latency is such that it doesn't make much sense to add one).

What is pin "XXXX"?  Try providing the full details of all warning and
error messages so we can have a chance at helping you.

Can you go through the procedures in "Getting Help"?  It will make it
much easier to try and fix your problem:

http://www.machinekit.io/docs/getting-help/

Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net