Sorry Michael,

I copied the .rbf to lib/firmware/socfpga and I used the full path when I did
the "setenv bitimage …".

I ran make dtb on the QuartusProject. It produced soc_system.dtb and
soc_system.dts in the project directory. When I did "env default -f -a" it
restored the fdtfile to socfpga_cyclone5_de10_nano_fb.dtb and when I tried
booting it I was able to boot again.

I wish I understood what the device tree blob is accomplishes, that would make
it easier to avoid
these errors.

I am thinking about buying a small LCD monitor say (16” 1366x768). So that I
can have a monitor on the putty console at the same time I am trying to see if
the de10-nano is booting into the desktop. Right now I can’t easily switch
between the x86 linux desktop and the de10-nano desktop to see if I am being
successful or not. When I turn off my development box and try to boot the
de10-nano desktop I am not seeing anything, the monitor just reports no signal.

Thanks for your patience,
Alan