On Sep 26, 2006, at 10:20 PM, Ray Zimmerman wrote:

On Sep 26, 2006, at 8:34 AM, John Delacour wrote:
Apple's installation is in /usr/bin. There is no need either to replace it or to use any fink, darwinport etc. Just install it in /usr/local/bin, which is the default anyway. Read the install file.

This is what I've been doing for years. Then I replace /usr/bin/ perl with a symlink to /usr/local/bin/perl. This leaves me with a default Perl install whose @INC does not include Apple's libraries, only those in /usr/local/perl-5.8.x.

I never noticed any issues with this until recently I had occasion to boot my PowerBook into single-user mode and at one point (I believe it was when shutting down) I saw the following in an error message ...

/System/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAget.app/Contents/ Resources/kickstart line 277
Can't locate Foundation.pm

Apparently a script related to Apple Remote Desktop Agent. And I did find Foundation.pm at /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.6/darwin- thread-multi-2level/Foundation.pm (which of course is not in my @INC).

So my question is ... what is the best way to make sure my new install (in /usr/local/) has everything the OS expects? Can I just install a few extra CPAN modules and make the OS happy, or do other apps install things in the Library/Perl dirs too?

What do the rest of you do?

For my part, I leave the symbolic link at /usr/bin/perl as it is. If the system perl needs to be upgraded for some reason, Apple's system update can do it. I keep my hands off the systems perl.

To use the parallel install of perl, I just put /usr/local/bin/perl on the shebang, and/or edit the path in the .bash_profile script so that /usr/local/bin comes first in the path.