On Sep 26, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Ray Zimmerman wrote:

On Sep 26, 2006, at 8:34 AM, John Delacour wrote:
Apple's installation is in /usr/bin. There is no need either to replace it or to use any fink, darwinport etc. Just install it in /usr/local/bin, which is the default anyway. Read the install file.

This is what I've been doing for years. Then I replace /usr/bin/ perl with a symlink to /usr/local/bin/perl.

So my question is ... what is the best way to make sure my new install (in /usr/local/) has everything the OS expects?

Leave /usr/bin/perl alone, and write your own scripts with #!/usr/ local/bin/perl.

Can I just install a few extra CPAN modules and make the OS happy

Why do that, when it's trivially simple to avoid making it unhappy to begin with?

What do the rest of you do?

I use 5.8.6. My scripts run fine with it, and why fix what ain't broke?

sherm--