On Sep 26, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Sherm Pendley wrote:
On Sep 26, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Ray Zimmerman wrote:
So my question is ... what is the best way to make sure my new install (in /usr/local/) has everything the OS expects?

Leave /usr/bin/perl alone, and write your own scripts with #!/usr/ local/bin/perl.

Can I just install a few extra CPAN modules and make the OS happy

Why do that, when it's trivially simple to avoid making it unhappy to begin with?

What do the rest of you do?

I use 5.8.6. My scripts run fine with it, and why fix what ain't broke?

Thanks for the suggestions.

The reason I've done it this way is because I have a set of perl scripts and web apps that require a Perl environment that is identical across several machines, including my PowerBook and a few Linux servers. Sounds like the best approach is just to make my scripts/apps use /usr/local/bin/perl on all of my machines.

Just for the sake of curiousity, I'd be interested in knowing what Tiger's perl install includes beyond what is part of the core perl-5.8.6. Anybody have a list somewhere?

Thanks,

        Ray