It's a bone to throw at institutions who will insist that microsoft office is
the only viable option.  Colleges, universities, corporate and government.
It's a big deel if your professor expects you to use excel or word and provides
intructions very tailored to that product and or will only use those formats.
It's also a big deal in corporate settings based on sharepoint.

Although I myself find iwork perfectly acceptable and I am not involved in one
of the main usecases for office on the mac, I find iwork's file formats
unacceptable because they can not be opened by ms office users, and they are
just plain damn enormous.  So, the fact that iwork essentially forces you to
use it's formats by adding 3 extra steps to convert and refuses to
automatically save a document in the format it was created in really annoys me
a whole lot.

Other than that, it's fine but you'll never convince some people for whom the
tool is actually more important than the task.

Erik Burggraaf