There should be a recovery mode from which disc utility can be accessed with
the repair drive option. When booting, immediately leave command-r pressed for
a while (say about 15-20 seconds). When you’re in recovery, toggle voice over
on (if you have a laptop, press with fn key). Once in, go to the menu, find
utilities/disc utility and go through the repair option.