Hi there, time machine is your best bet for backing up a Mac.  You’ll need a
backup disk of some sort which you can either attach directly or make available
over the network.  You could get something like a Western Digital external hard
drive which you simply plug in to the Mac or you could get something like a
Western Digital my cloud that plugs in to your network.  If you already use an
Airport there’s a USB port you could plug an external drive in to and make it
available over the network as well.  if you need more detail on the disk
options let me know, I don’t know which way you want to go here but that’s a
rough idea of your options.

Next, once you have your disk squared away you go in to time machine and turn
it on, plug in your disk and select it under select disk and let it go.  The
first time will be a full backup.  You can then have incremental automatic
backups if the disk is connected or in future if you like you can attach the
disk and a backup will start catching up what’s on the external disk with
what’s in your Mac automatically.  The advantage of an external disk you plug
in is you can take it elsewhere for off site backups but that depends on how
much effort and how critical your data is.

I hope I  haven’t confused you.  Do ask any more questions if you have them.

Thanks
Scott