Simon,  It's just always worked for me.  I wonder if you're pressing a
different area of the button on the ear-buds?  I press the centre of the
buttons, the area where you'd play/pause/skip.  On the iPhone itself, if you
press the up or down volume while a call is coming in, then it will silence the
ringer, press the button a second time and the call will be sent directly to
VoiceMail.  This also works with the Lock button.  So, keeping that in mind, I
choose to press the centre button of the ear-buds as opposed to the up/down
volume buttons.

I will test that later today if I get a chance.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada