> It's disappointing that with every release gtk gets slower...

I absolutly agree - GTK-1.2 has been a nice and fast toolkit but since
the jump to 2.0 GTK is just one of those "too-bloated-to-be-tuneable"
pieces of software no one wants to touch since it could break
something.

And do not argue that big, feature richt toolkits are slow in general
- Even large QT apps are snappy and very responsive whereas many large
GTK-2 apps tend to be unuseable on slower systems (like my Dorun-800).
800mhz to render some buttons and layout texts??
Maybe I am just too old to understand whats going on :(

A very favourite argument is that skinned toolkits are slow or X is
slow, but how do other, much faster toolkits face with that.

lg Clemens