Hi again,

> Have you ever tried recent GPE on a 200MHz iPaq?
> I find that very "snappy" too and it uses GTK2...
I have to admit that I do not have a lot of knowledge how qualified
different toolkits are for handheld use - my observations just showed
that GTK2 performs quite poorly on the 770 as it does for larger
desktop applications. (like Eclipse/GTK2 (Eclips/Motif or Eclipse/FOX
perform well), Evolution, ...) - the promise to tune it is arround for
years now but I haven't seen major progress in this area.
Its not possible to scroll widgets/tables withought articafts and
window-repaints of simple windows with just a few widgets take
200-500ms.
Skinned FLTK apps are fast even on that underpowered device...

> I would like to have Cairo as a compile time option and not a fixed
> dependency. For small devices like the 770 or other PDAs you could then
> go without it (or slower devices).
But since the plan is to expose the cairo-api this would be quite
difficult  ... just another layer somewhere in the stack. One size
simlpy does not fit all.

lg Clemens