Thank you, Marious. That encourages me a lot. Because now I've copied the
whole system "a la Fanoush", that is: via GNU tar. So I hope there's not
going be any problem of preserved links or similar details.

Now I was blocked because I didn't have got a usable initfs-flasher in order
to dual-boot. Maybe the solution is just to symlink. Your help here could be
precious...

Yes I created ln -s /media/mmc2/usr /usr, and then renamed original /usr to
/usr-old. I don't mind removing it. So the idea is correct: /usr ->
/media/mmc2/usr

Now the problem is to mount the mmc2 before the system needs it. I've
mounted at minircS, just before the line that says mount_devpts (line number
98). Would it suffice? How do I know? I've tried to put the line much above,
but the script didn't recognized it. Maybe to early.

Hope I success. In that case, I'll write a complete report and blog it, for
future users.

Salut.
Sebas.

2007/2/2, Marius Gedminas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 06:29:22AM +0100, sebastian maemo wrote:
> When I bought N80 phone, I found a very useful and logic feature: when
you
> install a new app, the application manager asks you whether you want it
> installed over your tiny phone memory, or over your large GB memory
card.

> For don't-know-what-reason Nokia failed to make this feature available
on
> his 770. They just let me create a 64M swap file that helps, but not
that
> much.

I would guess the reason is that it's not that simple to do this in
a Linux system.

I agree that it would be useful.  So would a thousand other features.

> So here I am, trying to make things work. I've learned how to create
> partitions with sfdisk (not so friendly as fdisk), format them with
> mkfs.ext2 (that was easy), and mount and unmount them at startup and
> shutdown via init.d scripts (that was the worst one).
>
> And now that I've learned all that much, I created the wrong symlinks: I
> cp'ed /usr to the MMC, and then made the wrong link: ln -s
/media/mmc2/usr
> /usr. Yes, now I know it should be the reverse way, but do not
understand
> why.

No, your command is correct.  Other things might be wrong:

  - cp doesn't preserve file permissions, unless you ask for it
    explicitly.  You may have ended up with all the programs in /usr/bin
    not executable

  - If you did not remove the /usr directory before creating the
    symlink, you've ended up with a symlink /usr/usr -> /media/mmc2/usr
    This should not have prevented it from booting, though.

  - I do not know if /media/mmc2 is mounted early enough before the boot
    sequence needed to access files in /usr.

Marius Gedminas
--
"Linux was made by foreign terrorists to take money from true US companies
like Microsoft." -Some AOL'er.