On 22 Sep 2016, at 6:56, Kee Hinckley wrote:

Bingo! That's exactly it. I did click on a mailto to generate that message, and the account that it sent from is the first in my list (at least according to the Activity Monitor).

Before this thread I had gotten a single report about this issue, but I couldn't reproduce it. This is likely the hint I needed. I'll look into fixing it.

The dangerous thing is that Google SMTP doesn't reject the message for being from an unknown account--it changes the headers.

I also consider that a bug, but I guess Google does not see it that way.

--
Benny