De : mailop [mailto:mailop-boun...@mailop.org] De la part de Jaroslaw Rafa via
mailop
Envoyé : lundi 7 octobre 2019 15:35
À : mailop@mailop.org
Objet : [mailop] Gmail marking email from me as spam

Hello All,
this is my first post to this list - I just learned about its existence and
someone told me that maybe it is possible to solve my issue here.

I run my own personal mailserver at rafa.eu.org for quite a few years. All the
time I had absolutely no problems with sending messages to Gmail. Few weeks ago
I learned that Gmail suddenly started marking e-mails that I send to Gmail
users as spam. As users usually never look into their spam folders, they don't
receive my mail.

It happens mostly to recipients to whom I write for the first time (for
example, found their e-mail address at their website and want to ask for
something I'm interested in). People with whom I already corresponded earlier
receive my messages as usual (ie. they aren't marked as spam), except for the
case when I didn't write to this person for some time. For example, I wrote to
someone two or three times half a year ago, and din't have any further messages
exchange since then. If I write to him again now, the message can fall to spam.

To test the issue I created a fresh account on Gmail and send a few messages to
it - they ended up right in the spam folder. I repeated this for three
different accounts and noticed that clicking "This is not spam" is not of much
help - ie. it helps for that particular account, but doesn't influence the
overall behaviour that my messages are going to spam on other accounts (unless
I click "This is not spam" on those accounts too).

The spam banner on the received message on Gmail account says that this message
is "similar to ones already caught as spam", which is an absurd explanation
because each one of the messages I sent was different. I didn't send a generic
"test 123" or something similar, but tried to write an actual email message
that makes some sense, different in each case. Also they are simple plain text
messages without any HTML, links or attachments.

Of course DNS is configured correctly, ie. rafa.eu.org resolves to IP address
217.182.79.147, and this IP address resolves back to rafa.eu.org.
I'm also not blacklisted. Obviously, I have never sent any spam-like message
myself nor my server wasn't relaying any.

I asked on different forums and tried to follow the advices I got.
Previously I didn't have SPF nor DKIM (as I wrote, for long time it was
absolutely no obstacle in getting my messages received by Gmail users), so I
configured them, I also published a DMARC record. DMARC reports I get from
Google indicate everything as passed, the same says Gmail in details of the
messages I sent to test accounts. I defined a MX record for my domain, which I
didn't have previously, because rafa.eu.org has an A record, so it looked
stupid (and superfluous) to me to define MX for rafa.eu.org that points simply
to rafa.eu.org :), and everything works perfectly with A record only. But
someone told me that Google may be suspicious about domains that don't have a
MX record, so I defined it. I registered my domain and IP address at dnswl.org.
I also registered for Google Postmaster Tools, but it won't show me any
information since I send too few messages to Gmail users (the description says
that I need at least a few hundred messages sent daily, which I'll probably
never achieve :)).

All this to no avail - my messages still go to spam (I just checked again on
the third of the test Gmail accounts). I only learned - by reading forums -
that more and more people start getting the same problem. What else can I do?

It would be best to get an actual advice from someone at Google who will look
into logs/config and check what actually happens. However, there seems to be no
way to contact them - no contact form or something like that is published on
the Gmail help pages.

Any help? I'm fighting with this for several weeks now, without any success...
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa