This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

The Nile crocodile as an attribute of Africa can be seen on Frederic de Wit’s
first folio map of Africa published in 1660. NOVA | AFRICA | DESCRIPTIO | Auct.
F. de Wit.
I do not know just when the image of Africa sitting on a crocodile was first
used on maps, but you could ask Richard Betz who is the author of “The Mapping
of Africa: A Cartobibliography of Printed Maps of the African Continent to
1700" his web site is www.betzmaps.com

George Carhart