The VC didn't include Husserl in their manifesto, but I think he
represents an important alternative in this discussion, if we want to
reconcile 'human' and natural sciences.

See, for example,

http://pos.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/27/3/328

Husserl, Weber, Freud, and the Method of the Human Sciences
Donald McIntosh

In the debate between the natural science and the phenomenological or
herme neutical approaches in the human sciences, a third alternative
described by Husserl has been widely ignored. Contrary to frequent
assumptions, Husserl believed that a purely phenomenological method is
not generally the appropri ate approach for the empirical human
sciences. Rather, he held that although they can and should make
important use of phenomenological analysis, such sciences should take
their basic stance in the "natural attitude," the ordinary commonsense
lifeworld mode of understanding which cuts across the divergent
abstractive specializations of natural science and phenomenology Human
sci ence in the natural attitude, shorn of its naivete by
phenomenological insight, would be the field of descriptive concrete
sociocultural sciences capable of taking a truly explanatory approach
to their subject matter, persons and personal formations. In practice,
both Weber and Freud exemplify the method recom mended by Husserl.