If Popper had been more scrupulous and less provincial, esp. given
what I'm told is a skepticism towards institutionalism, he could have
easily differentiated the intrinsic revisability of a theory vs. the
specific way it has resisted testing and improvement due to a
specific institutionalization.  The experimental natural sciences
involve application of uniform methods and thus replicability and
thus are intrinsically at odds with arbitrary manipulation.  However,
this is a restrictive conception of rational methods.  One could
differentiate, for example, between Marxism or psychoanalysis as
scholarly research programs and as self-justifying institutionalized
doctrines insulated against revision. The idea of natural science as
the only model for the rational understanding of the surrounding
world is itself ideological through and through.  That model,
interestingly enough, is insulated against criticism and revision,
precisely because of the way it is ideologically propagated and reinforced.