#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

In the early 1980s I recall that older, most former, Communist Party members
played invaluable roles in the movements I  was, as a student,  involved with
at the time - anti-Nuke, Central America solidarity etc. - While they carried
with them dreadful political baggage, of which I was then only dimly aware, the
fact is that on numerous matters of practical application their advice was
invaluable - how to organize demonstrations, phone banking, obtaining legal
observers, organizing coalitions etc. I know that former SWP members have
played and continue to play similar roles, roles that  can best be termed as
mentoring, in various movements throughout the country - although each year
there are fewer of them.

I think what Mark describes are the consequences of the destruction, decimation
is too mild a word, of the organized left in the 1970s and 1980s.  As a result,
there is little if any institutional memory left for the newly radicalized to
draw upon.  SR