I would definitely scan at a minimum of 600 dpi for printed matter. That's
what the National Yiddish Book Center uses for the Yiddish books they scan.
It is slightly coarse, but works well for the technology (and storage space)
that were available at the time. Today, I would look at 1200 or 2400 dpi if
plausible and settle for 600 dpi if not. There is probably nothing for which
300dpi is a reasonable resolution except for a throw-away that is being used
for an immediate purpose (the scanner equivalent of storing materials on
optical media--great for many purposes at hand, not relevant or appropriate
to archives).

TIFF is a fine archival format. Many institutions have started using it (and
our institution is among the zillion who are looking at it) but there is no
rush to change.

ari