When dealing with scanned images, I find quite inspiring the new approach taken
by RLG Programs and OCLC about Quantity vs Quality & Access vs Preservation.

However, working for an Institution where the photo collection is also
comprised of an overwhelming quantity of photos taken during Museum events or
field work record documentation, I would be interested to know how others are
dealing with the triage of any huge incoming quantity of unique "born digital"
assets.

In such case, one could say that the statement Quantity vs Quality morphs into
Quantity vs Preservation.

Currently the Museum, through initial review, secures Copyright ownership -
keeping only appropriate images. The Museum also deletes poor quality photos
and assesses the importance of the deposit itself ensuring that it is in
accordance with its mandate. These actions reduce the quantity per se but the
number of individual photos can still be quite significant.

Should other institutions be dealing with similar challenges and if some triage
principles/rules could be shared, this would help us greatly.
Thank you.

Louise Renaud
Manager, photos and copyright
Library, Archives and Documentation Services (LADS)
Canadian Museum of Civilization
100, rue Laurier Street, Gatineau, QC  K1A 0M8
T?l: 819-776-8237  fax: 819-776-8491