From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-boun...@mcn.edu] On Behalf Of Nik
Honeysett
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 4:40 PM
To: Museum Computer Network Listserv
Subject: Re: [MCN-L] Archive materials - image sizes?

Bravo to Sam (the man with the longest title in Museum Technology) for
questioning time honored advice. (Hmm... Time honored?). There are other areas
where this thinking is being applied very productively, for example in software
and website development.

I know this topic has come up before, but I'm concerned by the "do it once,
burn to DVD, never have to do it again" philosophy. Life expectancy for this
media is not in the "never" range. If you are on a digitization initiative and
buying large quantities of low quality media you should be wary of the life
expectancy of your archive. You may _have_ to rescan or at least transfer to
different media stock. In that regard a more appropriate resolution based on
your institution's short- to mid- term needs (5-10 years?) may be appropriate.

Storage is cheap, but this compounds the problem. Bigger, faster, cheaper means
that you put more of your digital eggs in one media basket. If one out of 10
DVDs fail, you loose 100 tiffs, if one out 10 HD-DVDs fail, you loose 1,000
tiffs.

-nik

>>> "Waibel,Guenter" <waibelg at oclc.org> 1/8/2008 9:37 AM >>>
Hi Perian,

A lot of the responses you've received so far have advised you to go for higher
resolution. I belief that this advice may make sense in certain circumstances
(for example, original art, fragile materials or small high-value collections),
but the situation you're describing is different ("the documents aren't
"precious"). I'd encourage you to weigh the intended use of the material in
making your decision. The advice you received was accurate if your main goal is
preservation, but that's not what your post led me to believe. If your main
goal is increased access to as many items in your collection as fast as
possible, I think a different approach may be more suitable.

For those of you who will be surprised to hear me say this... Sam Quigley gave
an inspiring talk at an SAA preconference RLG Programs organized in Chicago
'07, during which he began to question the time-honored advice of "do it once
for all time," and argued that a model of rapid digitization for access may be
just as valid to make museum collections available as quickly as possible. It
made me (and some of my colleagues) refine our positions when it comes to
digitization. Since I don't want to put words in Sam's mouth any more than I've
already done (I suspect he's reading this!), you can listen to his talk at
http://www.oclc.org/programs/events/2007-08-29.htm.

Some of my colleagues who were involved in organizing this event put together a
provocative essay called "Shifting Gears," summarizing some of the
forward-looking ideas discussed during the event Sam spoke at - the end result
is very much aimed at the archival community, but worth considering in this
context as well. You'll find it at
http://www.oclc.org/programs/publications/reports/2007-02.pdf. Here's a
pertinent excerpt:

"Many of our digital initiatives have stressed the importance of preservation,
leaving access as an afterthought (the idea being if you capture
preservation-quality; you can always derive an access copy). In reality, due to
the very special nature of these often unique materials, we will always
preserve the originals to the best of our ability. In light of recent programs
for the mass digitization of books, if special collections and their funding
continue to be marginalized, our administrations may not keep us around to
attend to the originals.

In the past, we've soothed our doubts by repeating the mantra, "we'll only get
one chance to do it, so it's got to be done right." Experience has shown that
that is not in fact the case. Often we do go back when the technology improves
or when we better understand our users' needs.
We need to put on our helmets now and go for the biggest bang for the buck in
terms of access."

Cheers,
G?nter

***