From: mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu [mailto:mcn-l-bounces at mcn.edu] On Behalf Of
sheila.ca...@pch.gc.ca
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 2:48 PM
To: mcn-l at mcn.edu
Subject: [MCN-L] Metrics & Evaluation SIG

Hi everyone - I would like to invite interested MCN attendees to the Metrics &
Evaluation SIG that will be held concurrently with all SIGs at an 'unluncheon'
on Friday, November 18. Details are available at:
http://www.mcn.edu/calendar-2011/2011-11-18.

The Metrics & Evaluation SIG has been dormant for the last couple of years, and
I'd like to know if there is interest in continuing or reviving this SIG. I
think events in the last year have proven that there are some areas of
potential interest for discussion. For example, when the Google Art Project was
launched in February 2011, questions arose again about whether increased
availability of high quality museum images would deter visitors from visiting
museums. Museums want to know the value of online visitors, and administrators
still tend to consider physical visitors the "real" visitors. In addition, user
expectations have changed, as have the type and quality of content delivered.
These are exciting, timely and relevant topics for discussion, and ones that
the Metrics & Evaluation SIG could address.

At the  SIG meeting, I could foresee discussions about gathering information on
all surveys and research studies related to the value of online visitors and to
user expectations. Also, it would be interesting to discuss what questions we
need to be asking to understand current trends.
Currently, I'm gathering articles and studies that would be useful for this
discussion. If you know of any off the top of your head, please forward them to
me. In the meantime, here are a few questions for
consideration:
?       What are user expectations of online content?  (this could be
expanded to user expectations for content delivered digitally through any
medium)
?       How are visitors using content on sites?
?       What do online visitors look for after a museum visit?

The initial mandate of this SIG was related to evaluation of online content,
but this could be expanded to include how can we analyze its usefulness. I'd
like to know your thoughts on this topic or any others, and hope you will come
to the SIG meeting on Friday, November 18.

Sheila

Sheila Carey
Analyste des publics et des programmes | Audience and Program Analyst R?seau
canadien d'information sur le patrimoine (RCIP) | The Canadian Heritage
Information Network (CHIN) Minist?re du Patrimoine canadien | Department of
Canadian Heritage Gatineau, Canada K1A 0M5 sheila.carey at pch.gc.ca T?l?phone
| Telephone 819-934-5017 T?l?copieur | Facsimile 819-994-9555 T?l?imprimeur
(sans frais) 1-888-997-3123 | Teletypewriter (toll-free)
1-888-997-3123