Hi everyone - I would like to invite interested MCN attendees to the
Metrics & Evaluation SIG that will be held concurrently with all SIGs at
an 'unluncheon' on Friday, November 18. Details are available at:
http://www.mcn.edu/calendar-2011/2011-11-18.

The Metrics & Evaluation SIG has been dormant for the last couple of
years, and I'd like to know if there is interest in continuing or reviving
this SIG. I think events in the last year have proven that there are some
areas of potential interest for discussion. For example, when the Google
Art Project was launched in February 2011, questions arose again about
whether increased availability of high quality museum images would deter
visitors from visiting museums. Museums want to know the value of online
visitors, and administrators still tend to consider physical visitors the
"real" visitors. In addition, user expectations have changed, as have the
type and quality of content delivered. These are exciting, timely and
relevant topics for discussion, and ones that the Metrics & Evaluation SIG
could address.

At the  SIG meeting, I could foresee discussions about gathering
information on all surveys and research studies related to the value of
online visitors and to user expectations. Also, it would be interesting to
discuss what questions we need to be asking to understand current trends.
Currently, I'm gathering articles and studies that would be useful for
this discussion. If you know of any off the top of your head, please
forward them to me. In the meantime, here are a few questions for
consideration:
?       What are user expectations of online content?  (this could be
expanded to user expectations for content delivered digitally through any
medium)
?       How are visitors using content on sites?
?       What do online visitors look for after a museum visit?

The initial mandate of this SIG was related to evaluation of online
content, but this could be expanded to include how can we analyze its
usefulness. I'd like to know your thoughts on this topic or any others,
and hope you will come to the SIG meeting on Friday, November 18.

Sheila

Sheila Carey
Analyste des publics et des programmes | Audience and Program Analyst
R?seau canadien d'information sur le patrimoine (RCIP) | The Canadian
Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
Minist?re du Patrimoine canadien | Department of Canadian Heritage
Gatineau, Canada K1A 0M5
sheila.carey at pch.gc.ca
T?l?phone | Telephone 819-934-5017
T?l?copieur | Facsimile 819-994-9555
T?l?imprimeur (sans frais) 1-888-997-3123 | Teletypewriter (toll-free)
1-888-997-3123