Agreed, but I am still not going. 30 years ago, I would have gone, but things were different then. I don't speak like a native.

In Italy, (or anywhere else) we always try to blend in and look and act like the locals. That includes eating what the locals eat. In Italy, we rode all over on the train, including places that appeared no American had been to since the end of WWII. The instep of Italy's boot is considered the armpit of Italy, and there was no problem whatsoever there. A resort there was mostly for Neapolitans, and was a fenced compound like mexican resorts. Most of Italy considers Napoli to be despicable but here, the locals were despicable to the Neapolitans. But I have no interest in going into Rome.

Sitting outside the Bahnhof Aachen eating rolls and butter purchased inside the station has been one of the most enjoyable moments in our travels. (and watching a Ponton Diesel go ripping by in addition to the multitude of other MB,VW and BMW products.) Hanging out in Munchen Hbf is interesting too. Lots of food and shops

In three years of living on Oahu and working in Honolulu, we never went to pearl harbor, the Arizona Memorial, or the submarine, not because there were not interesting, but because every tourist goes there. While living on the big Island, we did on occasion go to Kona and play tourist. That is kinda a busman's holiday because a lot of the folks who go there are Hawaiians. If we stay at a hotel, it is never Mauna Kea Beach Resort, it is Keauhou Beach Hotel which caters to Kamaainas (locals)