I look white/european, but I know how to not stand out when traveling. White skin does not make you stand out at all in Mexico, since a sizable percentage of "native" mexican people have fairly light skin, and some even blond hair and blue eyes.

What makes you stand out is dressing and acting like a rich tourist, and driving a fancy car. Bring a beat up looking car that's well maintained, and buy clothes locally that look like what everyone else is wearing and you'll blend in. I generally will wear a guyaberra (southern mexican style dress shirt) or a white T-shirt, and drive my somewhat beat up and dirty Volvo 740. I eat and go where the locals go, and avoid the tourist places. My car has american plates, which also blends in- because a lot of the cars down there were imported from the US and never had the plates changed.

How you act has a lot more to do with your safety when traveling than where you are or what your race and nationality are. Taking the time to learn a few phrases in the local language doesn't hurt either.

Tyler

Tom Hargrave wrote:
Tyler,

A friend if mine travels to Mexico a lot. He's Hispanic descent and he also
feels safe & probably is. But I'm white and I stick out like a sore thumb in
Mexico. Locals automatically know that I'm not local and I draw attention
which makes me a target.

Do you look like you are from the area or do you look "European - American"?
If you look like you are from the area then you blend in & will not be a
target.

I would not be a target in any Northern European country.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com
http://www.kegkits.com/JABF/