my process when I had 61x cars that I HAD to start was to turn key on till light goes off 3 times, on the 3rd time, wait 30 seconds after the light goes off, then start cranking till it starts. Dont let up because you probably will not get a 2nd chance.

Jaime Kopchinski wrote:
Thanks for reminding everyone of this, Curt... the light is only a suggested
glow time.  The glow continues for much longer after the light goes out.
You can hear when the glow stops... the relay goes "clunk!".  My normal cold
starting procedure for a OM616 or 617 is to glow until the relay clunks off,
then start cranking with my foot on the pedal... don't stop cranking until
it starts.  30 seconds or longer... whatever it takes.  The cranking will
slowly get faster and faster.  The owners manual clearly states long
cranking is recommended.  If you stop, you might not have enough juice to
glow and crank again.

I've started OM617s well into the single digits with conventional oil... its
all about the long glow, followed by the long crank.  And having a good
battery and starter, of course.

Jaime
'95 E320 - whatever
'82 300Dt - new starter... starts well this year so far
'79 300SD - in the heated garage until spring

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com