My info came from Mercedesclub.de. If the car was a 230CE, then by definition, it was injected when it left the factory. Someone could have swapped an older engine into it, or may have installed manifold and carb off another engine. Your donation car is a mystery to me.

Hi Dieselhead,

I believe your info is incomplete. My info says that engine was available in a carburetor version until 1990.

I am now at work, more or less, and I checked my records. The car I had (in March 2006) was a 1984 230CE and it was carbureted. Last 7 digits of the VIN were: AO95696. I distinctly remember the carburetor, because it backfired repeatedly thru the carburetor when we tried to start it, and I had to put out more than one minor flame-up. Which put the Fear of God into a couple of casual onlookers, btw. :)

It was a great little collectible car, but it needed a lot of restoration.

Thanks, Dwight, for the pics. That is definitely a different car than the one I briefly had custody of, from what I can tell from those lousy pics. Mine was a coupe. Sheesh, could he have taken a WORSE picture??? They reminded me of the pics Vinny Gambini had in MY COUSIN VINNY, taken through a filthy screen. :) God, I love that movie!

Tom Schuch

SE Connecticut

1975 W115 300D (may be going up for sale shortly to make some room)

and a bunch of BMWs (adding a 6th today)

Message: 2