So did the 300SL in the 50s.

In fact, I believe the first mass produced gasoline engine with fuel injection was the Daimler Benz DB601

Quote:

The DB 601A-1 was a development of the DB 600 with direct fuel injection. Like all DB 601s, it had a 33.9 litre displacement.[1] The first prototype with the direct fuel injection, designated as F4E, was test run in 1935, and an order for 150 engines was placed in February 1937.[1]
From wikipedia DB601

Of course, none of this is relevant to this discussion, because my 2.8 engine had the two carb set up. But, the 280SL did have the mechanical fuel injection in 1971.

Donald H. Snook