Kaleb wrote: "oh yea, its was a 250, not a 280, I was thinking 280 for some
reason."

Your confusion is understandable. The 250 originally had a 2.5 engine.  By the
middle of the production run for 1971 models, they switched over to the 2.8
engine.  My 71 250 had the 2.8 engine.  But, I had a friend with an earlier
model with the 2.5.

Of course, none of this is relevant to this discussion, because my 2.8 engine
had the two carb set up.  But, the 280SL did have the mechanical fuel injection
in 1971.

Donald H. Snook