They failed due to 3 reasons.
They were all Diesel powered so most ran out of fuel. Tanks went dry.
Tanks were located in as low spot. when water went over the berm tanks floated away. And the Big reason was the pumps did not have CFM capacity that was needed and
Pump generators were flooded.
I worked in the 9th ward after and we found 2 of the tanks about 3 miles away from the pump station they belonged. one was still half full of diesel. I was able to salvage
about 30 gal out of it.

Russ W.